So my run this afternoon went swimmingly! My current goal on tempo runs is to do 2 miles at 9:30 (~5K) pace. Today I did 2.25 at sub 9:30!
Just in case that was a fluke, especially since I haven’t done much speedwork or even multiple days of running per week, I’ll try another one later this week just to confirm if I’m actually getting faster!
- Go to yoga 7 times this month – Not quite. I attended 4 times in January. Will try again for February!
- Join the Chicago Tri Club – actually submit my registration, not just web-stalk them! Success! I registered, and attended a 3-session bike maintenance class, and also attended their newbie Happy Hour!
- Do two speed workouts & one tempo run. #Fail. Didn’t attempt much in January apart from my long runs.
- Develop a plank & push-up plan. Starting point: Do tests to see how long I can hold a plank & how many full push-ups I can do. I held a 2 minute plank and did the 100-push-up challenge test. Didn’t do anything else apart from the benchmark tests.
- Send 4 post-cards & collect the other postcards I may have lying around. #Fail. February?
- Bike to work 4 times – (weather permitting). Today is day 1. Completed! I think I did five total.
- Get on my bike & wear a heart rate monitor. Success! I did two at-home trainer workouts, plus signed up for a computrainer class at a nearby cycling gym.
- Pick one recipe and cook it this month. I picked a recipe and thought about it… does that count?
- Complete the CES Winter Warriors 13.1 winter run, and one full week of the planned training runs. 13.1 run was completed. Following a full week of planned training runs, not so much.
- Complete 16 Runs this month, including at least one speedwork or tempo run each week.
- Do planks & push-ups three times a week.
- Start the post-card challenge. Get my postcards together, and send out 4 or 5 to loved ones this month.
- Purchase ingredients & schedule when to cook 1 recipe. My recipe of choice is chili, or macaroni & cheese.
- Go to yoga 7 times.
- Track my food intake for each day from Feb 5-29.
- Post on my blog 12 times in February.
- Participate in the Appreciation Challenge from Amanda at Run to the Finish.
- Participate in the Burpee Challenge. I learned about it from Run Court Run!
- Participate in the photo challenge that Courtney is also doing.
Who else is setting monthly goals? I find it helpful to set mini goals that are helping to move me in the directions I want to go.
Before publishing my 2012 goals, I want to review my goals from 2011 and see what I accomplished and which goals I didn’t. You can read the original list of goals here from one year ago.
In the personal realm, my goals were:
- Pay off my student loans. – Check.
- Save for 2 vacations (!) – Check. We travelled to Amsterdam in October, and we’re well on our way for the honeymoon in 2012.
- Organize a get-together of friends once every few months, ideally with one being aimed at the great friends I made in college.
- Make my home a more homey place. I know this is vague, but I’m still trying to determine exactly what this means. I know some de-cluttering will be involved, but whether or not a living room remodel (or other room) is TBD…
Plan a trip to Central America for 2011, look at fall deals for a long weekend in Europe or BsAs. Plan for a trip in 2012 – long trip! Create a dream board. We took a vacation to Amsterdam and Belgium this fall, but that was the main vacay. I’d like to plan our Honeymoon & also another fall vacation for 2012.
Of my athletic/healthy goals:
- Successfully train for my marathon on 4/30. – Completed. I started the Illinois Marathon slightly injured (ITB issues), but went on to rehab it and run in the Fox Valley Marathon in September without any IT Band problems.
- Complete an Olympic distance triathlon, and 1-2 sprint distance triathlons – Still working on this. I completed the South Shore Tri in July, but dialed down my tri ambitions for 2011. Watch for this in 2012!
- Improve on my times in the 8K, 10K, half-marathon distances – I PR’ed at the 5K, 10K & Marathon distances. For my 2012 PR goals, I’d like to better plan and train for them.
- Make yoga a weekly if not more frequent habit. Do a Yoga Challenge. – off and on. This will be a continuing goal in 2o12.
- Achieve a lower body fat percentage. – Success! I dropped almost a full percent in average body fat over the course of 2011, without an overall concerted effort. I will be focusing more in 2012 on eating healthy more consistently.
How did you do on your goals for 2011? What’s your approach when you don’t meet them?
As I approach the marathon, I keep thinking toward “What’s next?” This summer I got stressed out by too many competing priorities, and I don’t want to get that way over the next six months.
- Get a wonderful wedding booty (and Michelle Obama arms!) –> Strength Train, Sculpt
- Not get slower at running
- Be better ready for a triathlon next spring
- Bike Skills, Comfort, Experience
- Swim Experience & Fitness
What I’m thinking:
- October: Focus on Yoga, Amsterdam 1/2 Marathon, Bucktown 5K
- November: Maybe the perfect 10 race? Turkey Trot? Begin pacing for CES Winter Warriors (hopefully). Continue Yoga, try Pilates, get into Spinning.
- December: Keep things up: Spinning, Yoga. CES Pacing & 1 speed workout per week.
- January: CES Winter Warriors, Yoga, Spinning, SWIM (Masters Swim Team – annual dues are by calendar year)
- February: Strength Training, Yoga, Spin, Swim – Cycling class?
- March: Strength Training, Yoga, Spin, Swim
- April: WEDDING! Yoga, Yoga, Yoga. Swim, Spin
- May: back in the game – triathlons here I come!
Cycling Goals: Nov-Jan: Time on Bike (or spin saddle); Feb-Apr: maybe find an indoor cycling class to focus on bike-specific strength & skills?
Swimming Goals: Jan-April: De-stress, build up a decent fitness level in swimming & improve technique.
Running Goals: Get faster! Specific run goals:
- Work on doing tempo runs (for me, just under 10 min/mi). Work on a 20 min tempo, and increase the time!
- Find a way to get track work incorporated into my running schedule. Does anyone know anyone who’s done the Fleet Feet Racing Team? That may be something for me to try out next spring/summer. Or otherwise getting involved with the Chicago Tri Club…
Om Goals: De-Stress. Get Stronger. Get more flexible. Or more specifically: go to Yoga more frequently. Goal: twice a week. Maybe in Nov/Dec/Jan to do a yoga challenge (20 times in 30 days??)??
I can’t believe we’re half-way through 2011! Where has the time gone? I know I’ve spent too much time working and not enough time on friends, family, and my athletic & health goals.
Here’s a recap of where I am now!
Pay off my student loans. Done!!!
Save for 2 vacations (!) Vacation scheduled for October, with a likely december vegas trip & April/May Honeymoon! Money is being saved, and Oct vacation airfare & hotel already covered.
- Successfully train for my marathon on 4/30. Mostly check. I did encounter some ITB soreness, and have treated with PT exercises & improved stretching, strength & cross-training.
- Complete an Olympic distance triathlon, and 1-2 sprint distance triathlons. I’ll do at least two triatlons this summer. I’m not sure about #3, and also not sure if I’m ready to take on an Olympic distance this year. I am still deciding for the Chicago tri…
- Improve on my times in the 8K, 10K, half-marathon distances. I PR’ed in the 10K distance at the Home Team Charity Run in April. My 8K so far was the day after a 20-miler. I expect that my half marathon distances late summer & fall will improve.
- Organize a get-together of friends once every few months, ideally with one being aimed at the great friends I made in college. #Fail so far.
- Make yoga a weekly if not more frequent habit. I was doing OK in January, and a little while in April. Have to get back into this. Starting on Sunday.
- Achieve a lower body fat percentage. I have made a modest improvement on this, but only a 0.2% improvement in six months. I have begun major weights/strength training that I hope will contribute.
- Make my home a more homey place. Work is being done, but not a noticeable change yet.
- Plan a trip to Central America for 2011, look at fall deals for a long weekend in Europe or BsAs. Amsterdam in October, here we come!!
- Plan for a trip in 2012 – long trip! Must figure out a honeymoon location.