Or the case of the stolen water bottle…
- Wake up early
- Drive to Geneva, IL (1 hour away, site of my marathon in 3 weeks!)
- Complete 20 mile training run with the sponsored training group out there. Run starts @ 6:30 AM.
- Drink recovery drinks and snacks, then go home, eat some more, shower and enjoy rest of day.
- Wake up early – check.
- Get in car – check. But with some roads near me blocked, my 5:15 AM brain couldn’t figure out how to get onto the highway I wanted to get on. Finally I realize I have 50 minutes to make the 1 hour drive & I’m not even on the right highway yet. Drive home. Time: 5:45 AM
- Set alarm to begin my run in Chicago at 6:15 AM. I needed time to have the peanut butter & bagel thin breakfast digest. Fall asleep (had been on compter). Snooze on alaram somehow until alarm goes off.
- Don’t wake up until 9 AM. Roll over and go back to sleep. Wake up again at 10 AM.
- Get ready again: more sunscreen, a gatorade pre-run drink, and some swedish fish. Get a stomach cramp, but make myself leave home at 10:50 AM for my planned 20-miler.
- Head out on my run. Run started out very comfortable and well.
- Around mile 4, take my first 2 shot blocks. At mile 4.5, stop to use the bathroom at the Belmont Boathouse. Place water bottle next to sink (so I don’t have to hold while on the toilet). Come out, water bottle (w/ shot blocks, Gu, Nuun!) is gone!
- Feel lucky I keep my drivers license, key, $$ in my shorts pocket rather than water bottle, and also realize that I have 1 Gu in my shorts. 1 Gu for 16 more miles…
- Decide to continue on run. Plan: hold off as long as possible to take Gu, and stop at many water fountains along course.
- Run. Run some more. Get to the Hollywood turnaround at the end of the lakefront path – I’ve run 8 miles at this point. Turn around.
- Hit a wall at 9.5 miles, and take my Gu at 10 miles. Continue running, feel fueled by my Gu.
- Get to Oz Park at 14 miles, run a few laps around the park. Starting to feel loopy at this point.
- Stop by Running Away Multisport in hopes that they have a replacement water bottle. Plan was to by that water bottle & Nuun tabs, and be magically energized for a little longer. They don’t have my water bottle, and I disregard all other fueling options that they DO sell.
- Hit 16 mile mark, want to start crying. I sit down, and then get up and do run/walks, with more walking then running. Walk/Run home – last mile took me 20 minutes.
- Make a Nuun glass of water, try to drink, lie down on living room floor. Mike passes me rice krispy treats & banana muscle milk (ew) while I’m on floor. 16.7 miles completed.
What Works Well:
- My outfit worked great! Will wear on race day
- Handheld water bottle is good.. until stolen!
- Chocolate Cherry Turbo Clif Gel – I also like their double expresso gel!
- Overall I felt good until I was quite literally, running on empty. I had visions in my mind of being on a military march through the desert.
What Not to Do on Race Day:
- Eat a PB bagel thin for breakfast. Stick to my standby: Clif Bar!
- Leaving your water bottle in a place where people will steal it.
- Only take 200 calories on a run. Stupid me for not running to a running store to get more fuel – before I hit 16 miles.
I’ll see how my legs recover, and may consider re-doing my 20 miler next weekend potentially. I certainly won’t be letting my handheld water bottle leave my sight ever again…