Monday I met up with Kim, a fellow blogger, for some yoga class! We’ve been meaning to go to a yoga class together since the Snowmaggedon in February, and our schedules finally synced up! We met up a little before class, and then grabbed a drink afterward before parting our separate ways. One thing I had found interesting is that we both enjoy yoga (and running!) but practice in different ways. I have trouble practicing at home and pretty much only do yoga at a studio, while Kim’s yoga habit is based primarily on a home practice.
We took a hot Vinyasa yoga class at Om on the Range, which kicked my butt, to say the least. I got a little banged up (i.e. skinned my knee) on Sunday, so any position where you’re kneeling was a little painful. And that’s not counting the “good sore” I’m now feeling in my back and arms… hm, I didn’t fall on those body parts too!
I know that yoga is so good for runners (and bloggers too – it clears your mind!). It’s a great compliment to the pounding, and helps me to strengthen my arms & back in ways that I have not been able to do from running.
My favorite yoga poses:
- Downward Dog – doing this in the Chautauranga series incorporates flow & movement, and makes it that much more challenging!
- Gorilla Pose – mostly for the name
- Eagle Pose – a balancing act
- Pigeon pose – a great stretch of some gluteal muscles
- Bow pose and a standing bow pose, but I can’t remember the name of it.
- Happy Baby Pose
Do you do yoga too? Do you practice at a studio or at home (or both)? What’s your favorite pose?