It feels a little like cheating to start my marathon training plan with a Rest Day! But I ran 8 miles yesterday, so that’s my excuse.
On Christmas, I signed up for the Christie Clinic Illinois Marathon on April 30. Although I just signed up, I’ve been working on my training plan throughout December. Some of the references that I used when planning this:
- Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide by Hal Higdon
- The Triathlete’s Training Bible by Joe Friel (Thanks M for the Birthday Present!)
Key factors in my training plan include:
- I have some weeks with only 3 runs scheduled. For me, sometimes I need decompression time, or time to truly get into the habit.
- 1 day per week minimum of Yoga or other cross-training
- A non-running challenge or goal per month:
- January: use the “cross-training” GroupOn for the TeamFit gym near my office.
- February: Yoga challenge? Do yoga 2+ times/week.
- March & April: Suggestions are welcome! Depending on how I feel as I increase mileage with the other challenges (and stay sane!) I may just focus on running and maintaining flexibility.
Also: Molly @ The Sleeper Baker is having a giveaway of compression shorts! That would be so great to win! Check out her blog and enter if you also like the quad/butt/hanstring compression that I do!
If you’re in the Chicago area and are doing Marathon Training this spring, please let me know! I’d love to share some of my training runs with you – even if we’re not at the same distances each week!