Yesterday’s Las Vegas Rock’n’Roll Half Marathon was an amazing experience. Here are the reasons why
1. Family and friends were there. Both M & my parents flew out to watch us — and enjoy the weekend in Las Vegas. Check out my mom’s photos (sorry if you can’t see them on the facebook profile).
2. Great travel race. I have had an awesome time in Vegas, and the trip’s not over yet!
3. Maintaining winter fitness. I’ve been motivated to continue running to train and be ready for this event. Part II of winter fitness is the Disney Princess 1/2 marathon at the end of February!
4. Spa day today at the Aria hotel’s spa. Only once I was there did I realize it’s considered one of the best new spas in the country! I had an amazing time in my massage, as well as lounging about in their heated stone lounge, salt lounge & steam baths. Fragranced water & fruits helped too 🙂
5. Awesome race & time! I PR’ed (personal record) and ran a 2:21:29, which is 2 1/2 minutes faster than my previous half marathon PR. I had had some trouble finding the 2:30 pace group, which was the group I had planned on running this with, and saw the 2:20 group instead. Although I hadn’t planned on trying to PR at this race (my main goals were maintaining the winter training and enjoying a travel race), I made a game-time decision to go with this group for as long as I could. I ran with the 2:20’s for 10 miles, at which point I began to fall back. But apparently I didn’t fall back too far (or the pace group was running faster than planned) since I couldn’t see them at all after the 10-mile marker.
I’m so glad I pushed myself to see what I’m capable of. Even if I’m paying for it last night and today. (BTW, Biofreeze is great!) But in a great location, I’m having an awesome time recovering!